A prototype of a virtual discovery environment with a three BIBFRAME layer architecture (Person/Work, Instance, Item) has been established through the individual processes of analysis, entity identification and reconciliation, conversion and publication of data from MARC21 to RDF, within the context of libraries with different systems, habits and cataloguing traditions. In order to test the SHARE-VDE platform on a critical mass of heterogeneous data embracing a significant number of cases that come from different stages of the libraries' catalogues, the collections from the below listed participant libraries, with imprint years 1985 and 2015, were included. Phase 1 includes 2,308,204 bibliographical records and 3,601,327 authority records. A number of further activities and the processing for the enrichment and the conversion of approximately 100 million of catalogue records are foreseen during phase 2 of the project.
THE THREE BIBFRAME PUBLICATION LAYERS
SHARE Virtual Discovery Environment in Linked Data is a platform which allows the browsing of library collections organized according to the BIBFRAME data model. The portal is therefore equipped with navigational tools on three layers:
- Person/Works: this level is enriched with data from external sources for the purpose of extending the research potential.
- Instances (or Publications): the Instance level aggregates the resources of the various editions, even in different languages, and connects them with the overlying Person/Work.
- Items: each Instance (Publication) is linked to the information contained in the dataset of the local OPAC of each single library.
If you are interested in further details of the project please refer to the Info and Contacts sections.
THE PARTICIPANT INSTITUTIONS
- Stanford University
- University of California Berkeley
- Yale University
- Library of Congress
- University of Chicago
- University of Michigan Ann Arbor
- Harvard University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Duke University
- Cornell University
- Columbia University
- University of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylviania State University
- Texas A&M University
- University of Alberta
- University of Toronto